Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Mother’s day

Whilst looking on the internet for information about fiestas in Spain I stumbled on some great news. Or at least it was pleasant information for me. On the 1st May the Spanish celebrate Mother’s day! That’s the first weekend we are in Cádiz, I couldn’t believe my luck.

Mother’s day in its current form started in America in 1910. In that year they elected the second Sunday in May as the day to celebrate Mother’s day. A lot of countries copied the concept from America and also celebrate it on that day, but there are some exceptions. Spain is one of the exceptions, because they celebrate it on the first Sunday in May.

This year I can celebrate my first Spanish mother’s day, although there are no special festivities I do intend to enjoy it to the fullest! And one week later I can celebrate it once more, because in The Netherlands we celebrate Mother’s day on the second Sunday of May! So this year I can receive a double amount of love! I really don’t have to receive twice the amount of gifts, but having a lay in and getting breakfast in bed is something I wouldn’t say no to even if it is two weeks in a row! Although I do hope that in Spain we will be able to have breakfast sitting on a patio enjoying the early morning sun. I can’t think of a better way of enjoying Mother’s day!

No comments:

Post a Comment